Sunday, July 1, 2012

Browse Windows Network media content on Android

I have a lot of content stored in my Microsoft Windows network, like eBooks, comics, video, music and so on.  It will be great if my Galaxy Nexus android phone can access these content without cumbersome cable connection.  Fortunately, ES File Explorer comes to the rescue.  You can use it to access your password protected Windows shared folders by using the SMB protocol.  I tried using it to play some photos and videos stored on the network and have no problem accessing them what so ever.

For my specific home network though, there's one catch: everytime after I copy some files to my server machine, the SMB protocol will fail, and none of the device that use the SMB protocol can access my shared folder files, while the Windows still have no problem accessing files from each other.  Eventually I figure out that the problem is more on my Windows Server machine, so someday I will just reinstall that machine with Windows Server 2008 R2 and hopefully that will resolve the problem once and for all.  In the meantime, I need to reboot my server machine whenever that happens.

I also have an iTune library running on my MacMini, and found that the app Remote For ITune a perfect way to control my iTunes library on my MacMini.  Pay attention, however, that there's another app called Remote For iTunes Pro - Free and that one is not the real thing.   Don't download that one on Google play market place.  It's crap.


No comments:

Post a Comment